RE: Article on Stockpiling of KI

I contacted the head of Tennessee Emergency Management Agency regarding

this issue and whether there was potassium iodide avaiable at Oak Ridge

in case HFIR was damaged and a release occurred.

The response was as follows:

> The NRC is making Potassium Iodide (KI) available to states with

> commercial nuclear power plants.  These plants are very much larger

> than the HFIR at ORNL. (1000-1200 Mega Watts as compared to less than

> a 100 at HFIR.)  We already have (and have had for the past twenty

> years) in Tennessee a sufficient supply of KI for the residents around

> the TVA Nuclear plants.  While there does not appear to be a need for

> KI in response to an event at HFIR, we could use the KI provided for

> the TVA nuclear plants if there was a need for it.  I will forward you

> the message from NRC.

The follow-up message had no less than 7 attachments--various plans,

guidances, criteria, disclaimers, etc.

But I have an alternative solution to those who see a need to stockpile

postassium iodide and fear a shortage.  Buy "Dr. Enuf" soda.  A 10-oz

bottle has 100% of the dietary requirement of potassium iodide.  Plus,

according to the label, "Rich in vitamins!  Enuf is Enough!"

Enough said.

Susan

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

Please visit our Web site - http://www.local-oversight.org