Re: Radon - recent articles supporting risk at residential exposures

Mr. Williams -

My comment about 'fishing expeditions' was made in

reference to epidemiologists choosing to look at radon

rather than a factors that are more likely to actually

be causing mortality, such as particulate air

pollution.

I am not swayed by your attempt to turn the language

around.

There was a mathematical proof by Dr. Cohen that

averaged data for counties are valid proxies for

individuals.  I have misplaced the citation.

I can easily find a large number of publications that

give consistent epidemiological evidence that

implicates fine particulate matter in increased

mortality.

May I ask you why you are so concerned about

residential radon; but apparently are not focusing

your interests in epidemiology toward a risk factor

that has produced definitive, consistent results that

implicate it in actual mortality?  If I were an

epidemiologist who wanted to produce publishable,

rather than null, results concerning _harm_ from an

ecological factor, I would study particulates and

certainly not residential radon.

Below are suggested citations.  There is a consistent

pattern among all of them, despite authorship from at

least 6 or 7 different research groups in the U.S. and

two different European countries.

Ruth Sponsler

Borja-Aburto VH, Loomis DP, Bangdiwala SI, Shy CM,

Rascon-Pacheco RA.  1997.  Ozone, suspended

particulates, and daily mortality in Mexico City.

Am J Epidemiol. 1997 Feb 1;145(3):258-268.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9012599&dopt=Abstract

Braga AL, Zanobetti A, Schwartz J.  2001.  The lag

structure between particulate air pollution and

respiratory and cardiovascular deaths in 10  US

cities.  J. Occup. Environ. Med.  43(11):927-933.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11725331&dopt=Abstract

Cullen, J., and K.T. Bogen.  2001.  Historical U.S.

residential coal use and female lung cancer mortality.

 Human and Ecological Risk Assessment.  7(2):369-385.

Daniels MJ, Dominici F, Samet JM, Zeger SL.  2000.

Estimating particulate matter-mortality dose-response

curves and threshold levels: an analysis of  daily

time-series for the 20 largest US cities.  Am J

Epidemiol. 152(5):397-406.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10981451&dopt=Abstract

Dockery, D.W., and C.A. Pope III.  1994.  Acute

respiratory effects of particulate air pollution.

Annual Review of Public Health.  15:107-132.

Goldberg MS, Burnett RT, Bailar JC 3rd, Brook J,

Bonvalot Y, Tamblyn R, Singh R, Valois  MF.  2001.

The association between daily mortality and ambient

air particle pollution in Montreal, Quebec. 1.

 Nonaccidental mortality.  Environ Res. 86(1):12-25.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11386737&dopt=Abstract

Goldberg MS, Burnett RT, Bailar JC 3rd, Brook J,

Bonvalot Y, Tamblyn R, Singh R, Valois  MF, Vincent R.

 2001.  The association between daily mortality and

ambient air particle pollution in Montreal, Quebec. 2.

 Cause-specific mortality.   Environ Res.

86(1):26-36.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11386738&dopt=Abstract

Greenbaum DS, Bachmann JD, Krewski D, Samet JM, White

R, Wyzga RE.  2001.  Particulate air pollution

standards and morbidity and mortality: case study.

Am. J Epidemiol.  Dec15;154(12 Suppl):S78-90. No

abstract available.

Jelinkova J, Branis M.  2001.  Mortality during winter

smog episodes 1982, 1985, 1987 and 1993 in the Czech

Republic.   Int Arch Occup Environ Health.

74(8):565-573.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11768045&dopt=Abstract

Katsouyanni K, Touloumi G, Samoli E, Gryparis A, Le

Tertre A, Monopolis Y, Rossi G, Zmirou D, Ballester F,

Boumghar A, Anderson HR, Wojtyniak B, Paldy A,

Braunstein R, Pekkanen J, Schindler C, Schwartz J.

2001.  Confounding and effect modification in the

short-term effects of ambient particles on total

mortality: results from 29 European cities within the

APHEA2 project.   Epidemiology. 12(5):521-531.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11505171&dopt=Abstract

Kelsall, J.E., J.M. Samet, S.L. Zegar, and J. Xu.

1997.  Air pollution and mortality in Philadelphia,

1974-1998.  Amer. J. Epidemiology.  146:750-762.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9366623&dopt=Abstract

Samet JM, Dominici F, Curriero FC, Coursac I, Zeger

SL.  2000.  Fine particulate air pollution and

mortality in 20 U.S. cities, 1987-1994.  N. Engl. J.

Med. 343(24):1742-1749.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11114312&dopt=Abstract

Zeger SL, Dominici F, Samet J.  1999.

Harvesting-resistant estimates of air pollution

effects on mortality.

  Epidemiology. 1999 Mar;10(2):171-175.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10069254&dopt=Abstract

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!