Cases and Controls - Tom Mohaupt

Tom,

There was no residual confounding noted in the Iowa Study. They

checked for it.

Multivariate analysis is a very powerful tool for adjusting for

smoking.  It does not require matched 1:1 case to control.  In fact,

such matching gets you away from your population based design of the

study.

The alpha particle exposure from polonium 210 is adjusted for as part

of the smoking adjustment (pack-year rate).  Tom,  recall that the

overall effective dose from radon is reduced when the radon progeny

attach to particulates from the tobacco smoke.

As far as specifics of their adjustment, I would ask the Iowa authors

for those details on their analyses.  They have kindly responded to

all the questions I posed to them. In fact, if you check the archives

Dr. Field himself spent many days discussing the study and responding

to questions on this listserv.  I have seen no other author of any

case-control study do the same.

As far as non smoking studies, Field refers to a positive German

study in his debate and Becker.   See Kreuzer article in Br. j. of

Med.  I have not had a chance to read it yet, have you?

http://www.ntp.org.uk/951-TUD.pdf

Sent by Law  Mail