Re: LNT

At the risk of seeming "unbelievably small minded," anyone who thinks

that rp standards or public acceptance of nuclear technology will change

based on the outcome of this debate is unbelievably naive.  Consider:

(1) TMI - Even though there was no significant dose to the public,

despite the operators' best efforts to defeat the safety systems, this

effectively killed any new plants.  (2) "Below Regulatory Concern" -

Even though this is scientifically valid, even with LNT, it created a

firestorm of protest, and the NRC ran for cover.  (3) the fuel pool leak

at Brookhaven - Even though the dose to the public was low to zero, DOE

shut down the reactor.  I'm sure I could find numerous additional cases,

but it's not worth the effort.

Although those who wrote LNT covered their butts with disclaimers,

disclaimers are universally ignored, and it's unbelievably naive to

think otherwise.  (How many of those "licensing agreements" you have to

accept when installing software do you actually read?)

Nevertheless, that's a moot point.  After crying wolf for so long, it's

too late to say, "just kidding."

Let's look at the real problems, for a change.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com