Re: Another (partial) literature review (radon)

Les,

At present the radon data in residential levels is very blurry. Some

studies include a confounding factor that has an OR that is more than a

magnitude higher. Some studies exclude intercomparing low order risk

factors for lung cancer. It seems to be "vogue" now to stratify data to

obtain a category of ">140 Bq/m^3". No one has ever shown that the action

levels used by most industrial nations (i.e., 200 Bq/m^3 for new

construction and 400 Bq/m^3 for old buildings) are inappropriate and less

safe. Using the EPA action level as the cut off might lead one to believe

that the studies are performed more for political reasons than to add

clarity to any relationship radon concentration may have with lung cancer.

Also. by setting the highest radon group at ">140 Bq/m^3" the investigators

are excluding any evaluation of the data at radon action levels accepted

internationally. Why?

Take a look at the ranges included in the radon categories:

0-50 Bq/m^3 includes 50 Bq/m^3

50-80 Bq/m^3 includes 30 Bq/m^3

80-140 Bq/m^3 includes 60 Bq/m^3

>140 Bq/m^3 covers nearly an infinity of values

How about stratifications that are more equally distributed, such as 0-100,

100-200, 200-400, 400-800, 800-1200, 1200 and above. Of course the answer

is because about 1/2 the cases and controls have radon levels below 50

Bq/m^3 and about 80% of the cases and controls have radon levels below 140

Bq/m^3.

As a minimum, I would like to see the last category regrouped to evaluate

200 and 400 Bq/m^3. Wouldn't you?

Tom

--

Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP

University Radiation Safety Officer

104 Health Sciences Bldg

Wright State University

Dayton, Ohio 45435

tom.mohaupt@wright.edu

(937) 775-2169

(937) 775-3761 (fax)

"An investment in knowledge gains the best interest." Ben Franklin