From: William V Lipton

To: RuthWeiner@AOL.COM

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 4:31 AM

Subject: Re: LNT

If, as you stated, "...the LNT debate is probably the most important debate

in health physics...", that is the reason for such a universal lack of

interest in hp among students, NOT a lack of academic funding.

I fail to understand how whomever "wins" this debate will affect anything

other than the egos of those involved.

At the risk of repeating myself too often (However, if no one's listening,

am I really repeating myself - let's debate that!), we have no one but

ourselves to blame for any overly restrictive standards.  When generous

research funding was available, it was expedient to promote LNT as a means

of procuring more than our fair share.  Well, strange bedfellows always look

a lot worse the morning after!  It's too late to change this, however.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com

RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:

To Bill Lipton and others:

I, too, am of the opinion that the LNT debate is probably the most important

debate in health physics (and possibly in environmental health) today.  We

not only base all our regulations on this, we spend zillions predicting

completely hypothetical "latent cancer fatalities" (which should really read

"latent fatal cancers")  and are even applying this totally speculative

hypothesis to substances that have a well-extablished threshold of effect.

I would like to propose an amendment to NEPA that requires assessment of

DETECTABLE impact on the environment.  Detecting even 50% of background is

tough. 15 mrem/year is probably undetectable.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.

ruthweiner@aol.com