Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 4:47 PM
Subject: RE: SNF Transportation

Good report.  Thanks, Julian.

Wouldn't it make life easier to be able to say that there is no credible situation in which a hazardous amount of radioactive materials could be released?

If there are liquids involved, couldn't they be solidified?  If spent fuel is cooled for several years before shipping. it is easy to show that there is no mechanism for releasing fission products.  Ditto for miscellaneous wastes.

Instead of hypothesizing outlandish scenarios, why can't we home in on this straightforward case and settle these key questions?  Why doesn't NEI, ANS or any nuclear-savvy organization just do it?  What a service that would be to the field!

Ted Rockwell