Re: SNF Transportation

Just to put things in perspective:

Spent fuel and other radioactive waste and radioactive material have been transported in the US by truck and rail and from the US overseas since the 1950s.  we have good records from 1970 on.  Although 90 Type B SNF casks have been in accidents: none has leaked radioactive material (in fact, none has even suffered external damage to the cask).

The question is not the record of SNF and RAM shipments, which is excellent in the U.S.  RAM, including SNF, is shipped all the time in the U.S.  The furor about Mobile Chernobyl is directed toward the Yucca Mountain repository (for which shipments of SNF in particular will increase to greater than the present rate (12000 rail shipments in 24 years = 500/year or one or two originating each day ).  But the objections are entiurely political.  we have pointed repeatedly to the excellent safety record, the stringent regulations, etc. etc.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com