Re: SNF Transportation

In a message dated 1/14/02 11:02:06 AM Mountain Standard Time, tedrock@CPCUG.ORG writes:

Wouldn't it make life easier to be able to say that there is no credible situation in which a hazardous amount of radioactive materials could be released?

This is only true if by "hazardous" one defines a threshold larger than the A2 values.  EPA defines "credible" (or "foreseeable") as having a probability of one in a million.  We defined it in the Yucca Mountain DEIS as one in ten million, to be sure to capture the considerable uncertainties in our analyses.  There are  very severe, extra-regulatory, foreseeable accidents whose conditional probabilities (conditional on there being an accident) exceed this.  Such accidents almost always involve fire.  One could certainly define a threshold such that the threshold of ceredibility would not be exceeded.

If spent fuel is cooled for several years before shipping. it is easy to show that there is no mechanism for releasing fission products.

I refer you to NUREG/CR-6672 (Sprung, et al, 2000) for a contradiction to this statement.  Just for openers:  5-year-cooled PWR SNF is under pressure.  In a hot enough, long enough fire, the package seal can deteriorate and the some PWR assemblies can rupture.  There is then a positive pressure that can sweep out gas (tritium, Kr-85) and volatiles like the cesium and iodine isotopes.  I am not claiming that such an accident is probable, or that the probability exceeds one in a million, but it is certainly possible to postulate this mechanism.

 The cited report is a Sandia report and may be available threough the Sandia transportation risk website.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com