RE: Background Radiation Information Sought

To all,

Based on NCRP 93 we know that the average person in the US gets about 200

mrem from radon and about 100 mrem from other sources.  The USGS maps are

great, but do not address all sources of exposure.  I am using background

variation in my training class to hopefully convince people that a few

extra millirem per year from occupational exposure should not be of great

concern since the natural background varies widely and negative effects

have not been identified.  I am amazed that an up-to-date version of this

basic information is not readily available.  EPA is the logical repository

of such information and was the source of the old data that I have.  You

would think they have such information readily available, but I couldn't

find anything on their web site.  I keep hoping someone knows.

Dave Derenzo, RSO

University of Illinois at Chicago