Re: LNT

Dear Les,

I have two comments on your post that both support Ruth Weiner's mail: One, the correctness of the LNT has nothing to do with the availability of a

replacement model, it is just plain wrong because it is contradicted by the data; Two, there are a large number of stand-in 'models' available, one

example is imbedded in the HPS position statement on the LNT that is telling us not to evaluate any risks below 10 rems (0.1 Sv) lifetime dose.  This

agrees with the fact that Joe Alvarez and I demonstrated in 1994 in a paper to the First Dixy Lee Ray Memorial Meeting that risks calculated for doses

below 30 - 50 rems (0.3 - 0.5 Sv) are meaningless because they are smaller than their errors!  The simplest replacement is thus a threshold-linear

model that has sometimes been called the hockey stick model, a model that also agrees with the data.

Something to think about, best regards

Fritz

--

 " The American Republic will endure until the day Congress

 discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money."

                                       Alexis de Tocqueville

                                       Democracy in America

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.

Sigma Five Consulting