Procedures for detecting and characterising hot particles

Dear Colleagues

Hot particles (physically small radioactive sources) are a common

problem on nuclear reactors and reprocessing facilities.  As far as I

know there is no standard national or international protocol which

describes the most appropriate methods for their detection and

characterisation (chemical and radioactive composition, activity,

size, mass, etc).  I recall some years ago coming across American

reports which went some way towards this.  Please can anyone

direct me to appropriate literature or individuals who may be able to

help.

Many thanks

Monty Charles

Dr Monty Charles, Reader in Radiation Physics

Radiation Biophysics Group

School of Physics & Astronomy

University of Birmingham

Edgbaston