From: Robert J. Gunter [mailto:rjgunter@chpconsultants.com]

Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 2:00 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Is it too late?

Greetings All,

There are things we can do to turn public opinion around.  A good start

would be a sustained shift away from pandering to peoples desire to shut

down everything "radioactive".  For example, when a critic states that

some limit is too high, a typical response has been to lower the limit.

What should be done is to point out that the limit is appropriate.  The

key is to stay "on message", and not argue the point.  The science

indicates that risk is insignificant, even if you subscribe to LNT.

Yes, I know a lot of these decisions are politically motivated.  It is

our job to provide facts to the decision makers.  Clear choices make for

defendable decisions.  We tend to hedge our bets when asked for

opinions.  If you are the decision maker, do you side with the clear

choice (just say no) or the one backed up with a lot of indecision?

Robert J. Gunter, CHP

CHP Consultants

www.chpconsultants.com

rjgunter@chpconsultants.com