Re: radon - documentation of exposure histories for Iowa study

Dear Don,

  I think that most "thinking" HPs question LNT.  As scientists we should always be questioning the currently accepted theories/hypotheses of the day.  This is how science advances.  Because a premise has been accepted by many people for some period of years does not make it immune to challenge.  as we know from history, people have accepted many things for many years without question and when big breakthroughs in understanding come, its directly as a result of someone not accepting the status quo.  It is difficult to accept LNT without serious questioning, based strictly on life itself.  We live in a rather radioactive world...if one back calculates the activity, it would appear that (unless the concept of half-life is suspended) that we lived and evolved in a much more radioactive world than now.  and yet as a people on this planet, we are living longer, even  in spite of some of the serious health challenges presented today.   Possibly, quite possibly, the radiological and !

chemical insults to our bodies over the thousands of years is what directed our course of evolution.  One would reasonably expect, given LNT and the large number of people in the world, that the background cancer rate would be enormous.  In fact, they are not.  As we know and has been told to us by the AMerican Cancer Society, approximately 2/3 of the cancers in the US are "lifestyle" related cancers.     Perhaps its time to consider that the  emperor may need a different set of clothes.  At the very least, it is important to keep an open mind and challenge the status quo.

>>> <hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net> 01/16/02 02:39PM >>>

Dear Don,

Not "dismissal" of credibility of persons, but skepticsm about some data they present, (as I have with Field's choice of outlier location Iowa and

non-smoking lung cancer "controls") is necessary for critical peer review.  Muckerheide's blunt political commentary is a good balance to agitating

public perceptions by anti-nuc Norm. Neither controls the list.

Muckerheide's observations seem largely similar (in less strident tone) to those of scientists attending the Doctors for Disaster Preparedness meeting

at which he spoke in June 2,000. Our yearly presentations have included Pollycove, Bernard Cohen, Teller, Wood and several Nobel scientists.

We did question Muckerheide critically, without fear of attack.

Howard Long MD MPH, (one of 8 Directors of DDP)