RE: Is it too late?

Sorry you missed the point. Although if you do it purposely it makes for a

good soap box,  I guess.

No one was suggesting that we take the money saved from over-regulation to

feed the children or anything similar to it. That's not even good economics,

btw. But it is addressing perspective and the big picture. What makes one

(potential) life here worth so bloody much more than millions of lives

somewhere else? On December 21, Kenneth Feinberg, special master for

compensation of the families of the victims of the September 11 attacks,

outlined his research as to what a life is worth, based on the policies of

various US agencies and other data. Bottom line: every victim's family gets

$250,000. Added to that will be their lost potential earnings, which could

be up to, as I recall, about $8M. If the victim was old and poor, which is

essentially redundant since 87 percent of those over 65 are, that may be all

you see. Anyway, that tells me that someone using $3K per rem is a lot

closer to the mark.

I'm going to be polite and not address the likelihood of a bureaucracy

offering to reduce its budget because it has less to oversee (consider that

fewer licenses could be required if the limits were higher and "risk" were

taken in a more reasonable context). But there's nothing productive about

spending the money on over-regulation, either for the licensee or the

regulator. We could pay people to stay drunk, too, and say that it was

contributing to the economy because they were buying their alcohol, which

was resulting in each dollar turning over seven times in the economy. But it

isn't productive. And guess what? Our individual and national economies

thrive only on our productivity. So even going beyond the perspective part,

which was my only original point until you pushed my economics button, the

more prosperous we are, the more we as individuals, businesses, and

countries look beyond ourselves to see where else we can be productive.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer