RE: Is it too late?

Radsafers, Bill,

I think yours is a very sane analysis of the problem. The true LNT

believers are (should be) in a moral quandary about safety, as long as

they believe that, in the last instance, a single photon can kill.

(Aside: This reflects a disregard for actual numbers in the micro-world

and is akin to a debate on the size of a mathematical point).  This

state of mind leads to things like immeasurable exemption levels, etc.

In the regulatory field one sometimes hears of a level of risk "which

society is willing to accept", which Bill terms a 'practical level'.  Bo

Lindell's semantic solution was apparently (ref J Rozental) 'thereare no

acceptable risks, only acceptable practices'. The fact is that public

risk aversion is completely non-uniform with respect to different

hazards and Jo Public might in effect find it thousand times more

acceptable to be killed in an auto accident than by a photon.  What is

more: the goal posts are shifting all the time.  Compare the reduced

level of risk the individual soldier (in the 'developed' world) is

'willing' (i.e. expected) to face today, compared with the World Wars.

In the public mind risk, irrespective of level, tends to be equated with

danger, therefore safe = no risk, according to this unrealistic logic.

Can the professionals agree on a 'safe level'?

Chris Hofmeyr

chofmeyr@nnr.co.za