Decision makers have the facts about radiation but ignore them

Title: Decision makers have the facts about radiation but ign
"Ted Rockwell"  in reply to "Robert J. Gunter"  quoted Robert:  'It is our job to provide facts to the decision makers.  Clear choices make for defendable decisions.'
 Ted congratulates him "Right on, Robert!  We have to shoulder our share of the burden.  The process starts with us."
        I agree with the thoughts of both Robert and Ted but disagree with the usefulness of the advice. The decision makers are the ICRP  internationally and the NCRP in the U.S. They have the facts but choose to ignore them. U.S. government agencies have little choice but to go along with the recommendations of the NCRP, a private organization chartered by congress to give advice on radiation.
        There is no easy way, even for the HPS, to effectively contradict the advice of the NCRP. Eventually the ICRP and NCRP must be reformed to become more democrat in their organizational structure. Since both the NCRP and ICRP choose their own members they will continue to choose members who agree to support their views (e.g., LNT) even if they have doubts about their validity.  My guess is that a very small fraction of NCRP members support LNT but go along with it.
        I agree with the philosophy of the late Harald Rossi who wrote in the HPS Newsletter (I believe) that the HPS must take over decision making on radiation protection. I replied that an ad hoc committee representing the World's major scientific  radiation organizations might be able to do it. It is clear that HPS would do a much better job than NCRP  but at present there is no way for HPS to grab the "high ground" for giving advice to congress or to NRC, DOE, EPA, etc. .
        I am an optimist. I think within 50 years the evidence for health benefits of low dose rate radiation will be overwhelming and force a change in the ICRP and NCRP. In the meantime we must continue to educate the public, the news media and the congress of the facts.  Perhaps the next President of the NCRP may declare independence from the ICRP. At present the NCRP (and most other national radiation protection groups) go along with the ICRP rather than criticize it.
        Science writers have ignored the good news in the 100 year study of British radiologists. (See June 2001 Br. J. of Radiology.) After 100 years the radiologists had a death rate from all causes 8% lower (P<0.01) than that of all male MDs in England and Wales and 23% lower than all men in England and Wales (P<0.001).  Even the earliest British radiologists (1897-1920) did not suffer any reduction in longevity despite having 75% greater cancer mortality than all male MDs. The reason being their 14% lower death rate from non-cancer, which I attribute to radiation stimulation of their immune systems. This good news has yet to get any publicity, even in the radiation community.
        Their are much bigger societal problems than over protection from radiation. As radiation scientists we have a responsibility to society to promote good science in our field. We have often failed in this responsibility. There is seldom criticism of the ICRP and NCRP in our journals. Harald Rossi is one of the few to do so.  In 1996 he wrote that our radiation protection quantities are in a state of chaos. (Rossi, H.H. Sensible radiation protection. Health Physics.70(3): 394; 1996.) It fell on deaf ears.
Best wishes, John Cameron

Ted Rockwell