Re: Lung cancer mortality from radon versus mortality from other cancers

Mark, Mike Ford and Radsafe friends

(I tested sending this message to myself, with the table.  It came out OK.

I hope it does to everyone.  If not, please e-mail me directly, I will send

things by fax)

For those interested, here is a summary of stats on the 11 cohorts subject

to Jay Lubin's et al. joint analysis (NIH publ. No. 94-3644, 1994)

One can note the wide disparity in number of Rn or Rn progeny measurements

between cohorts.  Also worth noting is the wide range of duration of

employment at the facility in which the exposure used to calculate the risk

was acquired.  Miners are a highly mobile bunch, particularly in North

America.  It is no mystery that, at Beaverlodge for example, the company

(Eldorado) hired preferentially local miners (there were several other U and

Rn mines in the region), who therefore left a Rn mine to join Eldorado and

went to other local mines when they left Beaverlodge.  Exposures accumulated

in other mines are not taken into account in risk calculations, hence a

systematic overestimation of Rn risk (how big is it ?).  Perhaps the

question of '' other mine doses '' is worth looking at in the cohorts who

have a mean duration of employment of less than 10 years.  In some mines

considered in the 11 cohorts, no measurements at all.  exposures were

''reconstructed'', extrapolated, assigned from values obtained in nearby

mines, ....

Furthermore, the excess lung cancer incidence is attributed to radiation,

then the excess of lung cancers is due to the sum of all lung doses, from

all radiation sources, not that from Rn progeny alone.  For the curious

mind, calculating non-radon doses and comparing them to Rn doses is quite

interesting ! Another source of systematic overestimation.  NOTE: In all the

cohorts, there is no excess of cancer for organs other than lung, except

liver in Czech miners (alcohol consumption) and buccal cavity in French

miners (alcohol + cigarette) - see BEIR VI, table 4.3, p. 123).

To Mark, re iron Swedish miners:  hematite (iron ore) is a known lung

carcinogen.  Silica is another one listed as such by IARC.  The incidence of

lung cancer in French iron miners is 3 to 5 (Anthoine, D., Lamy, P., De Ren

G., Braun, P., Cervoni, P., Petiet, G., Schwartz, P., Zuck, P. and Lamaze,

R.  Le cancer bronchique des mineurs de fer de Lorraine, Arch. Mal. Prof.,

40, no. 2, 48-51, (1979).  It is up to 15 in Czech iron miners (Isco , J and

Szollosova, M.  Incidence of Lung cancer in Iron ore miners, Proceedings of

the International Conference on Low Dose Irradiation and Biological Defense

Mechanisms, Kyoto, Japan, 103-106, (1992).  What are the respective

contributions of radon, silica, hematite in the excess lung cancer in

Swedish iron miners ?

(to reassure some of you, I spent ten years in radiation studies among

miners in French underground and open pit U mines, worked a few more years

in Elliot Lake in U mine dosimetry and did rad prot studies in high grade

mines in Saskatchewan)

      Cohort

     Number of measurements (Rn or Rn decay products)

     Number of workers in the cohort

     Number of measurements

      per worker

     Number of person.y

     Average number of years of exposure

     Number of lung cancer cases

     ERR/WLM

      Chinese tin miners

     26500

     13649

     1.94

     17607

     1.3

     936

     0.16

      (0.1-0.2)

      Colorado uranium miners

     43000

     3347

     12.85

     16735

     5.0

     327

     0.42

      (0.3-0.7)

      Czech uranium miners

     120000

     4284

     28.01

     31273

     7.3

     656

     0.34

      (0.2-0.6)

      French uranium miners

     1200000

     1769

     678.35

     25882

     14.6

     45

     0.36

      (0.0-1.3)

      New Mexico uranium miners

     92000

     3457

     26.61

     25581

     7.4

     68

     1.72

      (0.6-6.7)

      Newfounland fluorspar miners

     80

     1751

     0.05

     8405

     4.8

     112

     0.76

      (0.4-1.3)

      Ontario uranium miners

     131000

     21346

     6.14

     64048

     3

     282

     0.89

      (0.5-1.5)

      Port Radium uranium miners

     261

     1420

     0.18

     4544

     3.2

     39

     0.19

      (0.1-0.6)

      Radium Hill uranium miners

     721

     1457

     0.49

     1602

     1.1

     32

     5.06

      (1.0-12.2)

      Swedish iron miners

     80

     1294

     0.06

     23033

     17.8

     79

     0.95

      (0.1-4.1)

      Beaverlodge uranium miners

     6900

     6895

     1.00

     13101

     1.9

     58

     2.21

      (0.9-5.6)

      Summary data for the eleven cohorts of underground miners exposed to

radon progeny

Philippe Duport

International Centre for Low Dose Radiation Research

University of Ottawa

555 King Edward Ave.

Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1N 6N5

Tel: (613) 562 5800, ext. 1270