RE: Lung cancer mortality from radon versus mortality from other cancers

Dear various unidentified 'Dons',

Well, I've been an RSO in uranium mines, and have followed the epi studies

over a couple of decades; I don't doubt that radon daughters cause lung

cancers, but I have to tell you that the risk estimates produced by the

various miner epi studies and meta-studies are deficient because they almost

always fail, mostly don't even try, to take into account other in-mine

airborne contaminants, such as the already-mentioned silica, nickel dust,

arsenic dust, diesel soot, NOx, etc. etc.  Now, all of these will be in

general terms correlated negatively with mine ventilation effectiveness, as

will radon daughter concentration.....So, across the population of all

mines, radon daughters and other nasties will tend to go up and down

together.... Question is, how much of the risk of lung cancer arises from

RnD, and how much from from other nasties??

Those of us that have been around for some time (like Phil Duport) will

remember the larger-than-life Al Dory excoriating Ed Radford for not facing

this issue in his study of the Swedish iron ore miners.

Mark Sonter