RE: Prophylactic decon

As Bill says, pre-rinsing a cask before insertion into a contaminated medium

is a standard practice.  For more details, call your local BWR because they

perform activated metals shipments where the cask must be lowered into the

fuel pool.

Also try giving Ken forrester from Nukem a call.  They do a lot of work in

this area.  The last number I had for him was 803-731-1588.  Ken has done

this many times and will have great information as well.

You might also call some of the older power plants, because a few are

removing fuel from the pool and putting it into dry storage.

Be sure to ask whether the outer metal surface is finished the same as the

cask you're interested in.  Of course, once you collect some data, you might

not find much of a difference.

I don't have any direct experience myself, but these are a couple places

where you should be able to get data from.  After benchmarking a few places,

you should have enough data to create some procedural action levels of your

own.

Glen Vickers

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corporation

proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject

to copyright belonging to the Exelon Corporation family of Companies.

This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity

to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient of this

e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,

copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments

to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have

received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and

permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any

printout. Thank You.