Re: [Know_Nukes] Sr-90--->The cancer time bomb facing Scots born during Cold ...

>I get upset when this kind of report is made without any real values given

>for the comparisons.  See my comments below.  I would appreciate it if the

>author would answer back with the values.

---

According to my experience - in many newspapers and other media (including

the major Swedish newsagency "TT" and often in the TV news) this is the

standard way of writing anything relating to radiation (and often to

chemicals as well) & health. It seems like there is a deliberate avoidance

of context so the public shall not get the overall context and picture - the

media reporters often don't want people to have the context and perspective.

Comparison of dose levels seldom occurs in the mentioned media. The

background radiation is rare - a topic that all radsafers can try to write

about - but it is tough (I have many experiences whhere media people did

everything they could to avoid publishing paragraphs or single sentences

relating to the background). Avoiding the topic of background radiation and

comparisons make all these stories scarier - we all know it.

Some alarms may be justified - the bottomline is to get things right and in

proper perspectives.

These are my personal reflections only - approved by no one else,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com