Re: Radon Health Risks

Radiation Biology Post Docs (and others comparing case-control to population mortality),

It is good to see skepticism in the new generation. It is the essence of science.

Selection is sin in epidemiology - and we all sin. Our rationalizations are minimized by double-blind, placebo-controlled, prospective studies,

repeated by disbelievers.

However, such a definitive experiment is difficult with home radon. So, Field matched controls for age (one cause of lung cancer) - but,

statistically "adjusted" for smoking (another cause of lung cancer).  Only 32% of  Iowa "controls" smoked, vs 86% of cases. Such extrapolation, ie,

extension beyond the data at hand, assumes applicability of data from other studies, other populations. Extrapolation also derived LNT. One

extrapolation in support of another stretches credibility.

Also, selection of Iowa location (for whatever reasons) may disqualify inference to other parts of the USA. Iowa women were a 1% outlier in Cohen's

mortality study. His variation within is small, with very short 1 SD bars (18 at 1/4 pCi/l intervals),  and variation without is great (below 1 pCi/l

vs above, or regression of same). The assumption of all epidemiology (and case-control) is that despite universal uniqueness, residual unknowns can be

reasonably dismissed by having subjects virtually identical in all respects except that under study. Infering to the whole from a part known to be

different, is taboo - no matter how convenient.

We need a definitive study.

Howard Long (MD MPH epidemiology)