Re: Radon Health Risks

Howard Long,

Your email below is really incomprehensible.

Comparing selection to sin??

The Iowa study selected lung cancer cases from the SEER registry with the

requirement that they lived in their current home for at least 20 years.

Nothing sinful about that.

The selection criteria to match cases to controls were by age (5 -year age

groups), gender, and residency requirement.  They randomly selected

controls, by 5 year age groups, from Drivers Lic. files and Medicare files.

Again nothing sinful about this.  If they would have matched completely on

smoking status and as Dr. Field has said, he does not think this is

possible, it would no longer have been a population based study.  In the

paper which I doubt you ever read, it says the results are most

generalizable to women in the upper midwest.

By the way, age is an effect modifier.  Changes occur within the body with

age, but age itself never killed anyone.  Correlation between age and death

rate does not equal causality.  In fact, age adjusted lung cancers go down

in those over 70 years of age.  Black women and men also have much higher

lung cancer rates that white men and women.

It is impossible to have subjects equal in all aspects under study and if

you did that would be over matching.

We have some space for an extra graduate student in epidemiology, are you

interested?  Are you an M.D.?

Don Smith