From: RuthWeiner@aol.com [mailto:RuthWeiner@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 10:08 AM
To: Jack_Earley@rl.gov; healthrad@hotmail.com; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Radon Health Risks

In a message dated 1/21/02 9:32:58 AM Mountain Standard Time, Jack_Earley@RL.GOV writes:

. They got over it by the time we covered biological
effects and the relative (statistical, not real) risks, after they realized
that no activity (including staying home and watching TV) is risk-free.

Here is an insight I recently got about risk, so I will share it.  Any individual can make a decision about acceptable PERCEIVED  risk that affects only himself or herself.  However, when a risk decision affects a group, especially a large group, one has to look at realistically estimated risks in order to be fair.   For example, just because a few people PERCEIVE the risk from ionizing radiation to exceed the risk associated with joblessness, doesn't mean that this perception should be forced on an entire society.  A fair society should  look at risk estimated from frequency data.
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com