Re: Radon Health Risks

Dr. Cohen,

I read that, but I also read a paper by Field and Kross that showed there

were precision problems with your detectors. Am J Public Health 1990

Aug;80(8):926-30

Field comparison of several commercially available radon detectors.

Field RW, Kross BC.

University of Iowa, Institute of Agricultural Medicine and Occupational

Health, Department of Preventive Medicine and Environmental Health, Iowa

City 52242.

To determine the accuracy and precision of commercially available radon

detectors in a field setting, 15 detectors from six companies were exposed

to radon and compared to a reference radon level. The detectors from

companies that had already passed National Radon Measurement Proficiency

Program testing had better precision and accuracy than those detectors

awaiting proficiency testing. Charcoal adsorption detectors and diffusion

barrier charcoal adsorption detectors performed very well, and the latter

detectors displayed excellent time averaging ability. Alternatively,

(Cohen's) charcoal liquid scintillation detectors exhibited acceptable

accuracy but poor precision, and bare alpha registration detectors showed

both poor accuracy and precision. The mean radon level reported by the bare

alpha registration detectors was 68 percent lower than the radon reference

level.