Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:09:37 +0000

From: "Rad health" <healthrad@HOTMAIL.COM>

Subject: RE: Lung cancer mortality from radon versus mortality from other

cancers

Michael Ford,

Regarding your email below.  From your tone, you really sound a bit agitated

about this issue. But, our guess is what really bothers you is not the

quality of the miner studies, but that the LNT is used to extrapolate risks

down from them - are we right?  But, really haven't we known for a very long

time that something in the mines was killing people. <snip>

<MSF:  You are correct.  I am agitated about this issue.  However, it's not

for the reasons you cite as I will explain below.  I disagree that some

THING in the mines was killing people.  More like MANY things.>

<snip>  ....  What you can not help but notice is a pattern among all these

studies (performed by different researchers in various parts of the world)

that show an increasing positive trend with radon exposure that was

estimated in various ways.  If it was merely some other factor like silica,

then it would also have to be in all the mines and co-correlate with radon.

<snip>

<MSF:  Only if you are willing to acknowledge that other factors and

synergisms may be at play.  The miner studies do not delve into the role of

other exposures within the mine -- including, as Philippe Duport noted,

external exposures which may be significant.>

<snip> ...  We agree that some

of the miners studies were better than others.... But, in BEIR VI we also

see a statement that says the most DIRECT way to examine the risk posed by

residential radon is to perform epidemiological studies on people who

actually live in homes rather than mines..... <snip>

<MSF:  So the jury's still out?!?  I noticed you didn't cite any of the

studies that found negative associations.  Here's my beef with the radon

studies, Don's:  Does the wealth of data that you cite justify spending a

trillion dollars? If so, what health initiatives would you say we should

divert that money from?

If indeed you maintain that lung cancer is a bad thing, and I agree, then

wouldn't it be more prudent to devote limited public resources to smoking

cessation programs that we can actually show where lives would be saved?

In the interim, spending over a trillion dollars on a hazard that has not

been definitively shown to be such is a misuse of public funds.  Pure and

simple.>

<snip> But Michael, we have read the studies.  <snip>

<MSF:  Then it apparently did not disabuse you of the notion of their

significance.  Try reading some of the studies from the Russian radon

hospitals.>