Re: Lung cancer mortality from radon versus mortality from other<plus> Radon Health Risks

Whoa Cowboy!!

How did we get off track from our discussion of the facts?  I've merely

asked for your view of our public health priorities and you respond with a

left-turn, ignore-the-current-discourse slap.  There's something very

telling in that approach.

Have you run out of arguments and merely want to shout down the person

you're having a debate with?  Is that what they teach grad students at your

school these days?

I've made "more misstatements?"  Where?

I make things up as I go along to justify my own paradigms?  Care to

elaborate?

My friend, you make some rather serious (read: slanderous) allegations that

you had better back up.  I'll wait for your examples.

As for your reference to the letter to then-GOVERNOR Bush, I have had

discussions with Dr. Field regarding the Texas Radiation Advisory Board

Chair's response to his letter.  I informed Dr. Field that a response would

be forthcoming; however, the TRAB has been preoccupied with the security of

radioactive materials within our state for some months following 9/11.

Since you've broadcast your inflammatory statements to the RADSAFE

community, I feel obliged to respond as the Vice Chair in defense of the

former Chair:

The letter you've referenced :

http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/ech/rad/PDFFILES/radonltr.PDF

 was sent to then-Governor Bush by the TRAB as a "heads-up" to the EPA's

planned changes to the Safe Drinking Water Act regarding radon.  You are

welcome to read it.  As governor-appointed officials, one of the TRAB's

responsibilities is to advise the governor and other state government

officials and agencies on matters involving public health policy as it

intersects with radiation and radioactive materials.

I think you'll find that we are consistent in our position that

"hypothesized" hazards should not divert limited public monies from real,

demonstrable, public health hazards.  Which is what the EPA radon program

seeks to do.

The Iowa study was cited in the letter because of its recent publication and

the fact that it was being waved about by the EPA as the "bloody shirt" for

radon.  We took issue with several aspects of the study that, we felt, gave

reason to question the validity of the results.

Although we acknowledge respectful disagreement with Dr. Field on this

matter, we will "recant" nothing regarding the statements made in that

letter concerning the Iowa study; there were three:

First, the IRLCS was only able to establish ³statistical significance² by

omitting cases that died during the study period.  Dr. Field disagrees with

this contention and stated his case in his letter to the Billet (linked

above).  In reply, I offer the following direct quote from the IRLCS

website:  http://www.cheec.uiowa.edu/misc/radon.html#questions

"9. Why were analyses performed that excluded deceased cases?

Deceased subjects were excluded in some analyses to minimize the biases and

exposure misclassification that might be associated with the second-hand

information from relatives. We included all subjects in one analysis and

"live" subjects in another. The "all" analysis showed a significant positive

trend for categorical analysis, while the "live" subset analyses were

statistically significant for both the continuous and categorical methods"

In order to achieve "statistical significance" for the continuous method,

31% of the total cases (130 deceased of 413 total) were "omitted" for the

"Alive" scenario.  If there was no difference in statistical significance

between the All and Alive cases, I believe that Dr. Field would have stated

as such.  Otherwise, why go to such lengths to explain something that is not

an issue.

Second,  the data set was "carved up into non-uniform intervals.  Again, Dr.

Field disagrees with this.  This may be a fine point, but they are not

uniform.  If the authors chose to define the intervals down to the

"common-place" (or not) 4.23 WLM, they did not succeed.   The intervals were

4.23, 4.23, 4.22, 4.23 and >16.95.  They may have made an a priori decision

on what the intervals would be, but the decision to break down the intervals

to the 23/100 of a WLM is not well-described and for no apparent reason.

Why?

Third, the disparities in smoking histories between subjects and controls

were "poorly corrected."  Perhaps "corrected" was not the best word to use

in this instance.  A more appropriate term would have been "controlled" (or

"poorly controlled").  Again, Dr. Field disagrees.

This specific issue has been discussed at length within this forum over the

last few weeks.  As many have stated, you cannot merely hand wave and say

statistical procedures will address these discrepancies. To have 86.4% of

cases and 32.6% of controls be "ever-smokers" shows poor matching of cases

and controls.  Period.

It is unthinkable that such poor control of the number one cause of lung

cancer would be done in a study of a *hypothesized* number two cause of lung

cancer when the numbers for the number one cause (smoking) are so

overwhelming in comparison.

As a point of comparison, the "Residential Radon and Lung Cancer among

Never-Smokers in Sweden," Lagarde, et al, Epidemiology, July 2001, Vol. 12

No. 4, presents cases and controls as follows:

Time since last exposure, years:

                                               Cases (%)        Controls(%)

    Less than 3                             7.4                     6.8

    3-15                                        10.9                   10.7

    15 or more                            18.6                   16.6

    Unknown                                1.9                      1.8

Unexposed                               60.1                    62.8

Unknown                                     1.2                      1.2

Reasonably good matching .... Whereas the IRLCS cites the Former smokers

(25% of cases; 21% of controls) as follows:

Years since cessation of smoking

                                               Cases (%)        Controls(%)

        <10                                 70.5                        29.8

        10-19                             17.3                        21.9

        20-29                               7.1                        20.5

        >=30                                5.1                        27.8

No apparent effort made to match cases and controls in the critical area of

smoking.  Perhaps Dr. Field can prepare his reply to this post, we can send

both versions to the Billet and end the matter.

As a matter of public health policy and ALARA (as you have raised, Don), I

will submit that it is not only UNreasonable to spend TRILLIONS of dollars

on the radon industry, it is also unethical and immoral.  Unethical because

we are diverting monies from areas that could show a demonstrable public

health benefit (e.g., smoking cessation and water-borne pathogen control).

Immoral because we fabricate a public health crisis and bilk a trusting

public out of the money to support it.

When I get back to my office, I will provide the references for radon

hospital studies in the former USSR that show the beneficial use of radon

and response in a clinical environment.  This should be better than your

need for case-control studies.

Finally, the holy-grail pooling exercise won't be able to statistically

massage out all of the inconsistencies between the various and sundry study

methods.  As for the Texas Radiation Advisory Board, don't expect a

recommendation to support voodoo-science EPA initiatives to redirect limited

public monies away from critical, quantifiable public health hazards to

support hypothesized hazards (radon).

v/r

Michael

Michael S. Ford, CHP