Radon problem, and Thank You

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to my "wiring v. asbestos v. radon" problem.  the answers came out pretty much like my first assessment: the fire hazard from aluminum wiring is the biggest risk.

I can't help thinking that most of us grew up (as did my own children) without knowing the radon concentration in our houses, and I at least worked many years in laboratories where we shaped heating mantles from asbestos, used asbestos gloves, asbestos hot plates, and so on.  In fact, when we first came to the U. S. in 1938, our house was heated with coal, as was our neighbor's (we got oil heat in 1941).  Is my own experience, and my own and my children's and grandchildren's good health, so unusual?  I am well aware of the statistics for asbestosis and cancer as a result of occupational exposure, but the linear extrapolation to very low doses of anything is, if nothing else, counter-intuitive.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com