Re: TRAB and back to Re: Lung cancer mortality from radon versus....

It's been a real pleasure, Don.

on 1/24/02 3:10 PM, Rad health at healthrad@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

> Michael,

> Dr. Field's reply sounds like the same thing I had stated previously.

> Try putting 15% of the subjects in the upper exposure group and then you

> break the remainder up evenly, what WLM categories do you get?

How do you do that on an a priori basis and with analyzing the data?  If

it's done a priori, you establish intervals without considering the data.

If you intentionally place a specific number of cases into an exposure

category, there's nothing a priori about that.  Again, why 16.95 and why

4.23 WLM?  And how can you possibly claim that precision given the

uncertainties of the data that's being used  (specifically, human recall).

> They found statistical significance when all subjects were included and when

> the subset analysis only included lung cancer patients that were alive at

> time of interview.  No one who died was excluded.

130 cases were excluded in the alive analysis.  Table 4, page 1098.  Is

p=0.14 what you call statistically significant?