Re: Incident/Accident

Respect definitions the yet valid IAEA glossary:

accident

Any unintended event, including operating errors, equipment failures or

other mishaps, the consequences or potential consequences of which are not

negligible from the point of view of protection or safety.

event

In the context of the reporting and analysis of events, an event is any

unintended occurrence, including operating error, equipment failure or other

mishap, the consequences or potential consequences of which are not

negligible from the point of view of protection or safety.

incident See INES.

The word incident is often used, in INES and elsewhere, to describe events

that are, in effect, minor accidents, i.e. that are distinguished from

accidents only in terms of being less severe. This is an arbitrary

distinction with little basis in normal usage. An incident can be minor or

major, just as an accident can, but unlike an accident, an incident can be

caused intentionally. The existing misuses of incident, such as INES, cannot

be eliminated, but new examples should not be created.

 nuclear incident: [Any occurrence or series of occurrences having the same

origin which causes nuclear damage or, but only with respect to preventive

measures, creates a grave and imminent threat of causing such damage.]

conclusions:

a) accident "Any unintended event..........

b) event "Any unintended occurrence.......

c) incident ;

(i)) " Often used to describe events that are, in effect, minor accidents" -

"distinguished from accidents only in terms of being less severe"

(ii) "This is an arbitrary distinction with little basis in normal usage" -

"An incident can be minor or major, just as an accident can"

(iii) "but unlike an accident, an incident can be caused intentionally "

More conclusion: -

a) If event "Any unintended occurrence.......

b) If " an incident can be caused intentionally " - In this case incident is

not an event - Sense or not sense?

c) "The existing misuses of incident, such as INES, cannot be eliminated,

but new examples should not be created."...

When I asked why many colleagues from England and USa use incident instead

accident, is really why I wish to understand better this reason.

Many express Goiania Incident. There was not incident however rather an

acident.

England has a very important document: NAIR - National Arrangements for

Incidents involving Radioactivity - Why they do not change Incidents by

Events, like -IAEA INES?  - By the way if radsafers are interested can

download NAIR 2000, as a leaflet pdf format,  using

http://www.nrpb.org/radiation_incidents/nair.htm

Now with respect  the first Jack's point, I would like to make some

comments:

>My early experience and training as a rad con supervisor included specific

>public relations, now called "politically correct," responses to

>radiological events or "issues," another one of those words.

Comment:

We can't to avoid the use of the words accident or incident, we have to

understand the correct nuclear/radiological meaning to use one or the other.

Event as you refer is exactly this:  accident or incident

>Accident" wasn't used because it conveyed a meaning, especially to the

>public, of a catastrophic event--we don't want to create undue panic or

concern.

Comment:

Again, we can't avoid explaining to the public the Nuclear/Radiological

Event Scale. There are several reasons why public has not confidence, I'll

write two concerning this subject:

a) Regulatory Authority in many situations tries to minimize the situation;

b) Spokesperson also in many situations explains by means of abstract words.

Lamentable that there is not an International Radiological

Event Scale. Last year I did such proposal to IAEA. This takes time and

IAEA's priority.

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel