Re: Recommendation to resolve Cohen's ecologic study questions

Dear Bill,

I concede that your Iowa study is much more scientific than most medical articles

appearing in the JAMA. However, I do hold us to a higher standard: try for as

identical control matches as possible (the best being reproducable, double blind

placebo trials).

I also concede that it is very difficult to do this with radon. So I am considering

a surrugate, using the "1.3 pCi/l radon in home = about 1.6 rem x-ray/year to

bronchi " ionizing radiation effect stated by (? I can look up the reference). For

comparison, chest CT (Picker, Phillips or GE) gives an acute dose of one rem,

average.

Meantime, the above is consistent with Cohen's comment, 1/22/02

"I do not "adjust" my data for anything. I treat confounding by my method of

stratification which is very much superior."