Re: Recommendation to resolve Cohen's ecologic study questions

Dr. Cohen,

The explanation is simply that you have group level confounding that you

have not accounted for.

Smoking (among other factors) confounds your radon covariate at the

regional level, but most of the smoking variability occurs within counties

rather than between counties.  Therefore, as suggested in Guthrie's paper,

you need county level population incidence data and covariate data from a

sample survey.  As we pointed out before, in order to explain your findings

you will likely need more data than is available from existing published

sources.

Would you like me to fax you a copy of Guthrie's paper?

Bill Field