Re: Cohen's Fallacy

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Rad health wrote:

> There is a huge inverse correlation in Cohen's county level data between

> smoking and radon.

	--This correlation is fairly large, but it could hardly be called

huge.

  It is also likely correlated within the county level

> with such other factors as socioeconomic level.  Cohen can not account for

> these within county correlations for even one county and the correlations

> are not linear among counties.

	--Your problem is that you don't read or pay attention to my

papers. I do treat within county correlations, and I never assume anything

is linear except between radon and lung cancer which is the theory I am

testing. Why not read my paper on "Treatment of confounding factors in an

ecological study" whiich is posted on my web site before expounding on

your criticisms? Why not submit your suggestions in a letter to the

Editor, which, if accepted, will automatically get you a $1000 reward?