Re: Cohen's Fallacy

Mr. Rad Health,

Ruth suggests that cases with smoking be subtracted from the data. You say

that that this is what was done with the Iowa study, and I disagree. The

cases with smokers were not subtracted, but included in the evaluation.

Secondly, you espouse the virtues of a multivariate regression to account

for smoking and I disagree that this is adequate for radon and lung cancer.

For most cancers other than lung, smoking is not a direct insult to the

organ in question, i.e., smoking tends to be another confounding factor. In

lung cancer, smoking directly insults the lung. About 90% of the lung

cancers would go away if smoking were removed.  Smoking deposits hot

particulates in the lung. It contains enumerable chemical carcinogins.

Smoking directly changes the physiology of the respiratory system, thus

hindering the lung from functioning properly. It also deposits a higher

dose from alpha particles than from radon. Theory suggests that the alpha

particles from radon induce lung cancer. The dose from smoking is much

greater than radon, but it is not accounted for in the population-based

radon studies. It's not a simple confounder and cannot be treated as such.

Also, many of the radon studies of never-smokers have been negative. If the

smoking model is correct, the results of studies including smokers and

never-smokers should agree. Since they don't, I question whether the

modeling for smoking is correct.

Tom

--

Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP

University Radiation Safety Officer

104 Health Sciences Bldg

Wright State University

Dayton, Ohio 45435

tom.mohaupt@wright.edu

(937) 775-2169

(937) 775-3761 (fax)

"An investment in knowledge gains the best interest." Ben Franklin