Re: Cohen data suspect at best

I do not have the wherewithal to validate census figures independently, so I checked on a couple of minority populations that I happen to know about from local (state) figures:

New Mexico lists 42.5% Hispanics of all ages, which is the same figure quoted by state agencies, the Hispanic Chamber, everybody.

Washington DC lists 60% African American, and Maryland lists 27.9%.  Both are consistent with numbers I have heard quoted.  I have heard that DC is 70% African American, but that would be 86% accurate if the 70% figure is accurate.

Washington State lists 5.5% Asian, which again is consistent with other estimates I have read and heard. (we are talking the whole state, not just Seattle).

Again, I didn't say there wasn't undercounting -- I just said it wasn't by 80%.  Incidentally, I got the figures from www.census.gov.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com