Re: Cohen's Fallacy

Dr. Cohen,

I really sincerely question that you want to identify the cause of your

inverse association.  I have pointed out with abstracts the limitations of

using census data.  Your studies start with questionable averaged data and

then you use other questionable data to try to stratify to correct for

confounding.  Why not spend your time trying to improve and understand the

source of co linearity within a county by collecting information on that

rather than asking the scientific world to explain your findings for you?

If you believe and others really believe that your one ecologic study has

shown that the LNT is invalid I can respect your view without agreeing with

it.  I would just urge you to try to improve your data quality by using SEER

based incidence data for those states and getting some real data on

cross-level bias and within county variability.

The one paper I posted shows how blacks are under identified in census data

along with errors in SES.  There is no way to correctly stratify on a county

level with this type of data when the stratifiications are based on

misspecified data.  Black women and men have much higher lung cancer rates

now because of various behaviors (smoking 20 years ago) and collinear

correlated factors whose joint affect can not be theorized, but will result

in inadequate adjustment thus creating a negative association between radon

and lung cancer. It is up to Cohen to show this is not occurring by

providing real data on intercounty variability.

  I plan to sign off this list now because of the time required to reply to

a group of people that support your views.  I was told before signing on the

list that few people would publicly agree with me if I posted on this site.

(I had much better luck with Sir Richard.)  That has pretty much been the

case. It is interesting how the public postings and the private postings to

me differ.  Why is it all the people who posted to me privately do not post

publicly?  Are you fearful for your job?   Feel free to log on as Don.  Dr.

Field, I apologize that I drug you into these "discussions", you were

correct with your warnings.

This experiment concerning perceptions on the Radsafe list has been very

informative as compared to the discussions concerning these topics on an IH

and epidemiology server.  Paper will appear down the road.  Future

discussions can now focus more on the important topics of the list such as

hormesis and how HPs can appropriately maximize radiation's beneficial

effects.  Go for it Jim, Fritz, Mike, Howard, etc.  Please let Norm get a

post in now and then.

Don