Re: Cohen's Fallacy

>How do you explain that Iowa has one of the highest radon concentrations,

>yet one of the lower incidences of lung cancer?

Lower than average smoking rate 2o years ago.

>How do you explain that in all radon studies, most cases are exposed to the

>lowest concentrations of radon? Nearly all cases have less than the EPA

>actions level.

Log normal distribution of radon and a large percentage of lung cancer cases

have nothing to do with radon.

>I've explored how the 4 pCi/L action level was developed and regard that

>level as a "Glass Ceiling". I have little regard for studies that use ">148

>Bq/m^3". I know that the Iowa study did not and I respect that. My major

>concern with the Iowa study is smoking.

I highly recommend the recently published book, "Radons Deadly Daughters" -

They have a very detailed description of how it was arrived at.

>I have concerns with the retrospective radon detector (RRD) system. They

>report a 20% increase in radon levels over track etch detectors. The RRD

>results can very by 25% over a single pane of glass. Variability of RRD in

>houses with smokers is significant. I like the ingenuity of RRD, but I

>question the reliability of readings in houses with smokers because of the

>Po-210 introduced by tobacco smoke. In such instances, I think that track

>etch provides a more accurage reading than RRD because the particulates are

>filtered out.

There are some new papers on the glass-based detectors that show them to be

quite accurate.

>Radon is a statistical disease. The query "Where are all the dead bodies?"

>is as pertinent today as it was 25 years ago. I want to know how the EPA

>plans to demonstrate that the radon program has been and is effective in

>reducing lung cancers. From BEIR VI, it appears that IF the radon

>mitigation program were completely successful, there would be no detectable

>decrease in lung cancer statistics. That bothers me. Since lung cancer from

>radon is a statistical disease, statistics is the only way to show that the

>program is effective.

>My other concerns are of a nature that I will not post them on RadSafe.

>I look forward to the composite etiology lung cancers in never smokers, as

>you are. You and I have the same goal in mind. Reduce lung cancers. Even

>though both you and I have read through much of the same material, ou

>believe that the radon mitigation will satistically reduce the number of

>lung cancers; I, however, am skeptical.

Read radon's deadly daughters, it tells you where all the bodies are.