From: William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM>

To: <hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net>

Cc: <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 4:25 AM

Subject: Re: Federal Guidance Report No. 11

> Obviously, you have not heard of:

> Three Mile Island - There was no excessive dose to the public, yet nearly

fatal consequences for the nuclear industry.  Why?  I'd say a loss of trust.

> Shoreham - Even though the reactor was built to applicable standards, the

people of Long Island wouldn't let it run.  From the statements I heard at

the

> time, the average Long Islander would sooner have his first born son crawl

across the Long Island Expressway at rush hour than let Shoreham run.  Lack

> of trust?  (Please don't try to be the victim by blaming the media,

Christie Brinkley, Mario Cuomo, the tooth fairy, etc.  They wouldn't have

been

> listened to if there weren't an underlying lack of trust.)

> Rancho Seco - The owners (the voters of the Sacramento Municipal Utilities

District) voted to shut down the plant, even though it had fixed it's

> problems.  A loss of trust?  (CA could sure have used a few hundred extra

megawatts, last year.)

> BNL - High Flux Beam Reactor - A fuel pool leak resulted in a tritium

plume.  There was virtually zero dose to the public, yet political pressure

forced

> DOE to close the facility, with a severe economic impact on the local

area.  Loss of trust?

> Yucca Mountain - Why is NV so dead set against this huge economic benefit

which has been demonstrated to have virtually no environmental impact?. (It

is

> difficult to imagine how any activity short of more weapons detonations

could make NTS any worse than it already is.)  Lack of trust?

> The opinions expressed are strictly mine.

> It's not about dose, it's about trust.

> Let's look at the real problem, for a change.

> Bill Lipton

> liptonw@dteenergy.com

> hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net wrote:

> > Bill,

> > Your statement, "It's not about dose, its about trust."

> > is incorrect. If you know that and repeat it, ----.

> > Dose is everything in medicine

> > (life or death).

> > Likewise with radiation - also now a medicine, which HP's can help

individualize.