Re: Federal Guidance Report No. 11

What we did to deserve it:

arrogance - We've been consescending, at best, in addessing public fears, although we've improved, recently.

premature commercialization - In the rush to sell hardware, the reactor vendors palmed off protypes as "off the shelf" technology.  The result is that

each plant has to reinvent the wheel, and design errors, and unanticipated problems are discovered the hard way.  I would have loved to have been a

fly on the wall when the reactor vendors made their pitches to the utilities:  < $100 million, "turnkey project," electricity too cheap to meter,

proven technology, ...

a mindset to meet minimum requirements and nothing more - Plants ran with failed fuel, neglected maintenance, used various tricks to circumvent tech

specs (I heard of one plant which periodically made equipment inop to reset the surveillance clock, since they knew it would fail.  By juggling things

like that, and accepting inadequate performance for "non-safety related" equipment, you could keep running when you shouldn't.)  We've improved, but

the perception will take a while to catch up.

An unwillingness to learn from errors - We have often not properly investigated precursor incidents and have often addressed the symptoms rather than

the underlying problems.  We've improved a lot, but we now have the burden of proof.

What we can do about it.  There's no quick fix.  The best bet is a keeping a low profile, running an excellent operation, and, above all, avoiding any

screwups.  When one does occur, we must take responsibility and learn from our mistakes.

We are not victims, we did this to ourselves.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Let's look at the real problem, for a change.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com