RE: I love high-level nuclear waste and want some in my yard

Ruth Weiner noted:

> Finally, support of Yucca Mountain is not newsworthy and not lurid.  By

> supporting the project one cannot conjure up images of death and

> devastation, the way one can by opposing it.

> Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.

> ruthweiner@aol.com

Regrettably, the reality of the situation may be quite different.  In light

of events of recent months, dry-cask storage of spent fuel at nuc. plants

can readily conjure up these images.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but current

spent fuel storage doesn't benefit from the same hardened structure that the

reactor does with its containment.  Years back, I spoke to citizen's groups

in Santa Fe trying to help them understand that drums of waste at LANL were

a bigger risk than drums of waste at WIPP.  In my mind, just as the public

is safer with TRU waste underground at WIPP, it's safer with spent fuel at

Yucca.  I stand open to correction.

BTW, Ruth, what about Anna Karenina's mind reflects something that we would

hope most (all) women should have/be?  As I recall, she had a very

unpleasant, self-appointed, rendezvous with a locomotive.  :-(

Respectfully,

Bates Estabrooks