RE: LNT (Gangrene x-ray therapy)

Jim,

I asked you if you had any information on radiation treatment for gangrene,

and you provided an interesting article that I had not read.  I thank you

for that.  You asked me to provide comments and I did.  What is with the

nasty rhetoric?  I said that the process, if you want to call it that, is

like the teletherapy treatment of tumors.  Rapidly dividing cells, bacteria

rather the patients own, are being subject to ionizing radiation to destroy

them.  It is not hard to understand.  My comment about low dose compared to

teletherapy was meant to convey the idea that the response, in this case

infection control, occurred at lower dose than tumor control.  Obvious, the

physiology of the infection is different from that of a tumor bed.

If you are suggesting that the radiation boosted the immune system, consider

the description of Case 3.  Prior to irradiation, the WBC was 12,500,

Neutros: 72% (9,000); Lymphs: 28% (4060).  Normal values are WBC:  7,000;

Neutrophils:62% (4500); Lymphocytes: 30% (2100) Basophils 0.4% (30)

Monocytes: 5.3% (375).  Obviously, the body was fighting the infection prior

to the use of radiation to "knock down" the infection.  It would have been

interesting to see additional blood values during and after the

irradiations.  It is obvious that a number of pages are missing from this

article, as sentences are incomplete going from one page to another.  But,

all-in-all, it is an interesting read.

Again, please do not bombard me with snide comments, and I think you

comments about the NCRP meeting are inappropriate and offensive.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane