re: stop the madness

I am sending this via an AOL account, since it appears that the external mail

server is down. This post may show up again, from my regular account.

> NO It ain't OUR FAULT!!

Ruth,

I agree the current situation isn't all of our faults. However, we must

ask ourselves, why is there such an anti-nuclear attitude out there, and,

why has it grown to the extent that the opposition is worldwide. This just

didn't happen by itself. I'm sure that you'll recall when there was a time

where anything nuclear related was touted a as a good thing. The public

gave full support, and wanted more. So, why did this change? What made the

public turn away from something that was once considered good? One must

look at the root causes, and I believe that was what Bill is attempting to

do. The pubic loses confidence in anything, be it nuclear, chemical

technology, politics, when their confidence is shaken. Unfortunately,

there have been occurrences that have indeed, shaken the public's

confidence with respect to anything nuclear (fortunately this hasn't been

a serious issue when it comes to medical exposure). There have been

incidents throughout the world. This shakes confidence. There have been

outright fraud and deception on the part of some utility management, and

when this became public knowledge, that too shook the public's confidence.

For all practical purposes, there isn't much of a nuclear advertising

campaign, as there is with the anti-nuclear forces, so, our message

doesn't get out. On the other hand, even if we did have a serious

advertising blitz, would it be received favorably? I'm not so sure.

So, it may not be all our faults, but if one truly assesses the situation,

one has to agree that the nuclear industry itself, must share most, if not

a significant percentage of the fault, do to our actions, or, inactions.

This just didn't happen under its own inertia, and, if the anti's messages

were baseless, then why has the public embraced it so fervently? Unless we

look deep inside, we'll continue to have this debate, and continue to

point everywhere else, except into the mirror.