RE: NASA eyes nuclear step for rocket science

Another one.  Not quite, but close:

Browns Ferry vote on Unit 1 restart likely by midyear

>From Staff, AP Reports

MUSCLE SHOALS -- The Tennessee Valley Authority may decide whether to

restart an idle Browns Ferry nuclear reactor by midyear, officials said

Tuesday.

TVA studies of the project to fire up the idle Unit 1 reactor are nearing

completion, and board members would vote on it soon afterward, said TVA

Chairman Glenn McCullough Jr.

"We could be ready to make a decision by mid-'02," McCullough said after the

TVA board's Tuesday meeting in Muscle Shoals.

The TVA is evaluating environmental impacts, demand for power in the region

and costs before holding a vote.

The Unit 1 reactor hasn't produced electricity for more than 15 years, and

it would need an estimated $1.4 billion to become fully operational.

TVA could enter into a public-private partnership with investors to raise

money, McCullough said. Investors have proposed loaning money to TVA in

exchange for later profits from reactor electricity sales.

But money worries won't become serious unless the TVA board approves the

project, McCullough said.

"We don't have anything to finance today," he said.

TVA voluntarily shut down the reactor in March 1985 because of safety

concerns. Units 2 and 3 at Browns Ferry also stopped in 1985 but were

restarted in 1991 and 1995 after major renovations.

Critics say TVA would have to raise power rates in order to pay for the

project.

Copyright 2002 THE DECATUR DAILY. All rights reserved.

AP contributed to this report.

THE DECATUR DAILY

201 1st Ave. SE

P.O. Box 2213