RE: Regulatory Authority of Accelerator Products on Indian Reserv atio ns

Great original question that most of us have never thought much

about.  Here is my guess on this subject.  The FDA regulates manufacture of

radiopharmaceuticals, probably everywhere in the US.  They are concerned

with radiopharmaceutical purity, sterility, apyrogenicity, radiochemical

impurities, etc because the material is injected into patients.  They

definitely regulate PET material everywhere else.  OSHA might cover

occupational radiation exposure issues where NRC and states don't

regulate.  EPA might also have some regulatory authority over emissions,

radiation levels outside of buildings, etc.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone

will say so!

Dave Derenzo

University of Illinois at Chicago