Von: Jacques.Read@eh.doe.gov <Jacques.Read@eh.doe.gov>

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Dienstag, 05. Februar 2002 22:29

Betreff: Iridium volatility

>Iridium carbonyl (carbon monoxide complex) sublimes at 250 degrees

Centigrade.

>Jacques

Having been on a committee of the Austrian Standardisation Institute dealing

with sealed sources and their testing for tightness I know very well, that

sealed radioactive sources are rigorously categorized and tested as to their

resistance to not only chemicals, but also to heat and mechanical forces. I

know as well, that the USA has standards for that and there are

international standards, because we tried to harmonize our standards with

international ones.

The question is not, at what temperature iridium vaporizes or melts, but

rather at what temperature and after what time the source will lose its

tightness and leak. The sources are clearly categorized as to what

conditions they will survive without leaking.

It is interesting, that iridium carbonyl will sublime at 250 centigrades -

but the stainless steel encasing must withstand the 250 degrees without

damage and so there will be no sublimisation even in a carbon monoxide

atmosphere!

Without knowing the type of the source and the circumstandes in terms of

temperature and possible mechanical force (which seem not to have been

present), it is not possible to make any judgement of that "incident".  What

has been on RADSAFE hitherto is just speculations and in line with so-called

"whistle-blower activities". I could imagine that there are quite a few

RADSAFE members who know much more about such radioactive sources, than I

do. May I ask you for comment?

Franz