RE: Regulatory Authority of Accelerator Products on Indian Reserv ations

Daren and Group,

Radium regulation at VA is kind of moot.  We all just want to get rid of

radium.  But there is a VA directive that says we must treat accellerator

material the same as byproduct.  I beleive it treats TNORM as accellerator.

The VA is pursuing a Master Materials License and it is supposed to be

granted this year, only about 3 years late.

At that time the VA will be very much like an Agreement State in that our VA

regulators will make no distinction between radioactive materials.

Any opinions expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily

represent those of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans

Affairs, or the United States Government.

Peter G. Vernig

Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center 1055 Clermont St. Denver,CO

80220, ATTN:  RSO MS 115; peter.vernig@med.va.gov; personal

peter_vernig@hotmail.com; 303.399.8020 ext. 2447, FAX: 303.377.5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever s right, whatever is pure,

whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be

excellent or praiseworthy, let yourmind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus