RE: More U.N. "Radiation Bottom-Feeders" on Chernobyl Aftermath

If anti-nukers were really that concerned about

radiation and it's effects then they'd be up in arms

protesting in front of coal plants (like they do nuke

plants) about all the uranium they dump to the

atmosphere each day.  In the USA, its a combined total

of upwards of 750 kg a day.

Yet, not a word about it.  Do they just not care about

THAT radiation?  I rememebr reading about how BNF

reported that they dumped 300 kg of U from Sellafield

into the water and enviros were all up in arms.  That

was a planned dispersal and had the approval of all

pertinent regulatory bodies.  Of course, the EU

enviros didn't care one bit that coal burning released

that much U each and every day over there.

Why no word about radiation safety and flying, living

or working in skyrise buildings, television sets, or

playing in the ocean (U content in seawater is on the

order of .02 ppm and 1 ppm in seamud)?

I guess they are only worried about radiation from the

nuclear fuel cycle.  All other radiation is

immaterial.

I have spoken to many anti-nukers that say that any

dose above background is too much and that we should

limit our dose to ALAP not ALARA.  So, if a person in

VA gets an additional .01 mREM from a nuke plant that

is a bad - no, deadly thing.  But if I moved to CA

that same year and were exposed to 2300 times that

much that same year - well ,that's ok because THAT

extra dose came from the Mother Nature (not to mention

an extra dose 300 times that if I flew out there).

Yep.  I get it.  Clear as mud.

Tim Steadham, P.E.

http://greetings.yahoo.com