From: Kerimbaev [mailto:kerrembaev@yahoo.com]

Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 7:35 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Cc: liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM

Subject: Re: " U.N. Studies Chernobyl Aftermath

Bill,

Thanks, for pointing that out, I can not agree

more with "...a human and technological disaster"

It is pity to see someone does not want to or can

not accept that fact or even will try to re-write

the history again.

Moreover, I would like to ask WHAT did we learn

from the Chernobyl aftermath or  -  "..learn from

it, and make sure we never even come close to a

recurrence.."

The question:

1. What did we learn from the accident?

a) We have learned everything and it will never

happen again.

b) We just have waited out the time when other

events have captured public opinion.

c) Radiation is not harmful at all and we just

need to educated everyone about that fact and

then we will be okay.

d) We need to learn nothing, we knew all before

and it was just a very rare mishap which lead to

the disaster. PROBABILITY of that to happen again

is so low anyway, nuclear industry has NO future

beyond our retirement time lines, our children

will be brain surgeon and lawyers, sleeping on

the warm beaches and wont need electricity to

heat their bungalows.

e) Before Chernobyl we did NOT know what we were

doing and now, we have some ideas about  fission,

leisure and fusion.

f) We have learned our lessens and have written

ten thousands of new procedures but we are here

to make money and stock prices are ruling

everything.

g) Trust is a relative category and we have

gained 15% of that in the years past Chernobyl.

You wrote:

You folks still don't get it.  It's not whether

Chernobyl killed 2000, 8000, 30000, or "only"

100.  To argue body counts is, at best,

insensitive, and

does nothing to convince the public of our

ability to properly manage nuclear technology.

Chernobyl was a human and technological disaster.

 Let's accept that, learn from it, and make sure

we never even come close to a recurrence.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Let's look at the real problem, for a change.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com

maury wrote:

> Also To:  Don Kosloff, John Fill, John Priest,

Pat Milligan, and others

> It is really sad that this issue gets used in

this manner. The essential

> scheme is to portray your nation, your

organization, and your 'clients'

> as victims of this so-called terrible disaster.

As victims, you receive

> money from individuals, organizations, and

nations all over the world.

> The Chernobyl  accident took place in April

1986 -  nearly 16 years ago

> (not nearly 15 as one news item "reported").

> Last spring, there was extensive discussion on

this list (as well as

> world-wide) arising from the 15th anniversary

of Chernobyl. You will

> find many excellent references and summaries in

the Radsafe archives for

> about one year ago. Our esteemed news media

carried the usual claims of

> 30,000 (yes, thirty thousand!) deaths due to

Chernobyl. There were all

> kinds of outlandish claims including some being

made by UN organizations

> exactly as you see today. In fact, I think

either or both UNSCEAR and

> IAEA protested to the Secretary General about

the conflicting

> inappropriate (and unsubstantiated) claims

being made by other UN

> agencies. Cherish your memories of the days

when we all thought that the

> BBC was the paragon of truth in reporting world

news

> The scientific follow-up studies reported last

year showed about 100

> deaths and about 1,800 cases of thyroid cancer

in youngsters. The number

> of thyroid cancers should increase for a while

until the more

> susceptible age group has been born well after

the accident. But the

> Chernobyl Victim Industry continues alive and

well!

> This treatment is all about money and we should

expect to go through it

> every spring for the next few decades - with

elevated emphasis every 5

> years. It is a pity that the news media are

always so ready to gain

http://greetings.yahoo.com