RE: Cohen's Refutation of LNT

----Original Message-----

From: Field, R. William [mailto:bill-field@uiowa.edu]

At 01:53 PM 2/11/2002 -0500, Jim Muckerheide wrote:

Bill,

<snip>

>> My 'bottom feeder' comment was directed at the agency bureaucrats that withdrew and revised the report, not scientists. (Defensive?)

> I am also glad to hear that.  I thought you were making a generalization against all NIH funded scientists and reputable groups like the NCRP, ICRP, etc.

Let's not get carried away here. :-)  My personal knowledge/experience with the intended disinformation and suppression of data and research by ICRP/NCRP people, and direct info from many in science who don't speak out much but who confirm Walinder's statement that "the LNT is the greatest scientific scandal of the 20th Century," makes them "reputable" all right!

As recently as NCRP 136 (along with the dishonest performance of NRC) see e.g.:

http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Correspondence/NCRP136/ZJcmts.htm

>> No "top of food-chain" here. I have no funding or career that depends on those agencies, nor any establishment industry support (my documenting the truth on rad health effects has potential adverse effects on their multi-hundred billion profiteering on the public fraud); and my addressing of their fraudulent actions is detrimental to my career, as you would expect. It would seem EPA may be at the "top of the radiation food chain." The question is: Who would replace them as an organization that would treat science honestly?

> Do you feel the DOE is looking in the correct areas for future research in the low dose range?  Please see the funding announcement I posted.

We reported on radsafe since before DOE's program started, and advised Domenici accordingly, that DOE's program would obfuscate the science (and buy-off some critics that had lost funds in the cut-backs of the previous decade or so), as they (AEC/NRC?ERDA/DOE) have done for 50+ years.

We identified appropriate biological research. Instead DOE gave funds to "others," primarily through the national labs. It's easy to see. Take the current biology and medicine literature that documents non-linear (and even hormetic) dose-response. See whether DOE's work is supporting confirmation or extension of such work. Instead, see the junk efforts targeting single cells with single alphas in petrie dishes, and a dozen other areas of no potential significance! See whether any people doing the actual state-of-the-art biology are supported. (Having said that, some work by a few credible people is being pursued. But results are not focussed - not likely to reach any "conclusions" in less a decade of promised funding!)

Jim