Re: Radon and Smoking

Kai,   We previously showed (Smith et al. 1998 and elsewhere: http://www.lww.com/health_physics/0017-90789-99ltrs.html) that when Cohen's adjusted smoking percentages for males and females were regressed on radon levels, significant (p < 0.00001) negative associations between smoking and radon were noted for both males and females. Remember, Dr. Cohen's correlations are at the county aggregate level.  We have performed numerous studies looking at current smoking and radon for individuals and did not find any correlation whatsoever.   This include not finding a correlation between current smoking and radon in the Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study.  So in this particular case, the ecologic finding does not equal the individual level finding.

Regards. Bill Field

At 10:01 AM 02/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Kai Kaletsch wrote:

> If radon measurements for cases in a case-control study are made after the
> case quits smoking or when only non-smoking relatives are living in the
> residence, then the radon exposure assessment would overestimate the actual
> historical radon exposure of the smoking cases. If we subtracted 10% from
> the geometric mean radon concentration of the cases (almost all ever
> smokers) in the Iowa study, the difference between cases and controls would
> be eliminated.

        --An interesting point. In most situations, once a lung cancer has
been experienced, the smoking stops.

> Dr Cohen:
>
> Do you have any data which would indicate if the smoking-radon association
> is causal or not? For example, is the radon concentration in ex-smokers
> houses similar to that in smokers homes or to that in non-smokers homes?

        --The only data I have is the number of cigarettes smoked per day
in the house.These data are in Tables 2 & 3 of my paper in Health Physics
60:631-642;1991
************************************************************************ You are currently subscribed to the Radsafe mailing list. To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu Put the text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/